Friday, July 1, 2011

Bathroom Reno

When we moved into the house, the main bathroom didn't have a shower.  This was something that needed immediate fixing, because with people coming over for swimming, house guests, and possible roommates a tub (however nice) wasn't going to cut it!


Here is the bathroom before, looking very white:


This is what was to the right of the above picture.  Built in shelving, nice, not so much if you would prefer a shower.


Off we went to Home Depot to pick out some not expensive tile, we weren't even sure what we wanted when we went.  Here is what we chose:


Usually, this tile is seen on floors, but we thought it would look nifty on the shower walls.  Plus, after much consideration, we liked the funky, keepin' it with the 50's style of the house.

So Phil and I (well, more Phil than me) got to work with the demo: 


I won't share all the demo pictures.  Nor will I share all the in progress pictures, because there are a dozen.  This tile was a pain in the butt, because of all the little pieces that needed cutting.  Here's how it ended up:


I painted the walls grey (as seen in the kitchen).  We considered going all the way to the ceiling; however, decided against it for whatever reason.  It could have been that we wanted to stay within a budget.  We're very happy with it. All of the plumbing is inside that nifty built in, and we went for a fixture that feels like a lovely spring rain. ;)

Here's a different view.  this is me standing in the tub facing towards the doorway (on the left) See, there was plenty of storage, no need for the open shelving in the bathtub.


Finished:


Shower curtain is from Target, and I decided to go for a simple piece of artwork over the toilet.  Hey, it gets a ton of views in there!  I got the artwork from Eyeful on Etsy (I have another of her pieces in the master bedroom).


The space between the picture and the toilet is not as large as it seems in this picture, not sure why it looks that way...must be the angle.  I would put something on the back of the toilet, but it has an odd slope that doesn't allow for things to stay.  I'd put books there, but some people think that's weird even though I don't. You'll understand more on that later.

There you have it, our on the cheap bathroom reno!

No comments:

Post a Comment