Friday, July 8, 2011

Building a Wall

When we first looked at the house, we were told it had three bedrooms.  However, it only had two and they were small!  It did have a large living room/dining room combo, a huge entry room, and a huge den.  We figured that all we needed was to build some walls to make the den into a master bedroom.  It already had a bathroom and walk-in closet, so one wall and a door wouldn't be much work!

Soon after moving in my dad came over and helped Phil build a wall, dry wall it, and all that good stuff.  Here's how it went.

 I'm in the "entry" area looking into the den (or future master bedroom). The front door is directly to my right.

This picture is taken from the den (future master) looking into the "entry" room (future library).  In the middle of the shot is a doorway that leads to the living/dining room combo, kitchen, and guest bedrooms/bathroom.  The little cutouts look directly into the living area.  Don't you just love the curtains they had hanging to separate the spaces?

 Um, so my mom and I were cleaning/organizing the kitchen, so this is when I finally went to take a picture of the wall progress.

 They sure are fast! It's ready for drywall!

 Yay! Now for some sanding, primer, and paint!

 I chose the color "Warm Cup of Cocoa" for this room, because I wanted to feel cozy!  This is still the "entry" area, which has now been turned into...


A library!  We're not really sitting room people, and I'm definitely a book girl.  Obviously, you can see by my other blog (Brooke Reviews).  What better room to have when you first walk in (I'm standing with my back to the front door)?  I still need a few more shelves, and I'm thinking crown molding and a nice chandelier would look nice, too bad we'll need an electrician to install all the wiring stuff for us.  I'm also on the hunt for a round rug.  I'm sick of rectangles ;)

The only trouble in this room is lighting.  It has no windows, besides two small ones that flank the front door.  So this room relies on light seeping through from the living room next to it.  Maybe in the future a window or a better front door with glass can be added for natural light.

Pictures of the master to come soon!

2 comments:

  1. I did not know this about your bedroom. I am really amazed at the love and sweat you and Phil have put into your home. It shows a million times over. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awe, thanks Smash! :) We do love this house so much. I'm so glad we got ourselves a fixer upper!

    ReplyDelete