Monday, July 11, 2011

Making a Headboard

I decided for the guest bedroom that I wanted to make a headboard.  I knew that I wanted it to be rustic to fit in with the bedding and style I was going for.  I wouldn't call it shabby chic, but more of a collected look.  After much contemplation, and even think about recreating a West Elm type headboard, I decided I needed some pallets.  Luckily, Phil's work throws them out sometimes when they break or whatever.   Here's how that process went:

This is what I started out with.  A full pallet and a broken pallet.
I decided to (have Phil) cut them up, because the nails in the pallets are so long, and have been in there so long they are almost impossible to remove.
Next, I laid out a pattern.  Then used heavy duty wood glue to put the boards on.  They are not heavy, so it was definitely enough to just use glue.  Then applied a white wash.  No pictures of the whitewash, but I ended up doing two coats.

Here is the finished project.  The bed isn't going to remain in this spot (I don't think) I want to hang curtains, but haven't gotten around to working with that corner window yet.

You know Elliott had to jump in for a shot.  He loves this room so much.  Whenever we open the door he runs right in and jumps on the bed.

The nightstand is from Home Goods and the bedding and lamp are from Target.  I need to DIY something for the shade or just get a new one...it's looking not so pretty.


Here is another shot of the room:



 The dresser was my great-grandmothers.  The mirror would normally attach, but the hardware was missing and the mirror was so heavy that I was afraid it would fall.  The milk bottles are from West Elm, the plant is from Target, and the candle came with the house when we moved in.  Obviously, we need to pull up the carpet in here as well, but we haven't gotten around to it yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment